Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Great Authors In Our Time--Like....today!

I have had this conversation lately, and it seems we have so many visionary authors, who happen to be so young for their accumulation of wisdom.  This is in regard to the authors by the name of Francis Chan and David Platt.  These are just a couple of them.  Both of these men are leaders of their churches. (Francis is always on the move, itchy for God)  I don't think their combined age could be more than 75!  For me in my new faith journey, who would have thought I would have moved into Christian literature that would take me to fringes of missionary work in this short of time.  I was warned prior to reading "Radical" that you better be ready for it.  Platt warns us of the American Dream, even as much as pointing out our crystal cathedrals are glimmering as 4.5 billion humans are lacking the Gospel on this planet.  Both authors use plenty of scripture to back up their claim that we best quit hunkering down in our churches and get praying and spreading out from our comfortable circles.  Yes, it was enough for me to finally let the Holy Spirit begin to invade my life, beginning shakily 1.5 years ago, but then to imagine I needed to then move quickly to my family members and loved ones and try to reach them for that which I think they may have missed as well, coming from protestant and Catholic background.  Of course, they may not have missed this relationship, but I am not sure.  Regardless, my efforts are still strong to move outward from my close family circle (never tiring, never ceasing for the Holy Spirit keeps feeding me to keep working), and now the circle is expanding. 

It is not easy to read books that show God's Word, true and everlasting, state that I need to not be shy in evangelizing.  I did not come from this type of background.  My mom and dad read the Bible privately.  Prayer was at supper and the same one daily.  There was no popcorn prayer (love that term).   We did adopt a child in another country for a time and supported him (in his home country).  But in our church, you didn't carry your Bible in, mom had a personal hymnal.  And baptism was infant, not believers.  And all of us Jesup churches back in the 70's-80's kept to ourselves.  Our home seemed to carry out our mission of getting to church and Sunday school, church suppers, dad was a deacon and boy did we love Bible School!

Now, Bible school in the Lutheran church, that was like the Baptists!  We sang, sang, sang and we were making buttons and banners and parading all over the church lawn with our love for Christ.  And Red Rover and green Kool-Aide and cookies, all you wanted.  And it ended with a potluck on Friday at lunch and our parents came and picked us up.  That was depressing because I could have done Vacation Bible School all summer.  If felt so good to be in worship like that with my peers.  It REALLY FELT AWESOME.    And back to summer you go and miss your church buddies and the cool older kid volunteers.

Back to Chan and Platt:  I just want to point out that I am so relieved that the good Lord put these books in my hands.  There is so much more than my individual salvation at stake here.  I need to live in the Word, be called to worship, walk in the Light, Grow, Grow more, and now, think about how I am going to impact nations that are begging for Bibles and even a right to worship.  One suggestion Platt has is to pray.  Just as he states Jesus told his disciples to pray before doing anything else.  May I suggest you pick up either the book Radical or Crazy Love?  Chan has two other books at least, but these seem to hit on the topic of our American Dream and really how it is actually damning us, literally.  I give all the glory to God, our Father, for this time (where in the heck do I find it) to type this and get everything done in His name.  He has blessed me so graciously and answered so many prayers.  All of this in his name, Amen. 

Let us also be on guard at all times of false prophecy and evil among us Christians and Christian leaders.  We need to be cautious about the books we read and preachers we listen to: 

Ecclesiastes 12: 11-12  The words of the wise are like goads, their collected sayings like firmly embedded nails, given by one Shepard.  Be warned, my son, of anything in addition to them.  Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment